Recipe provided by: Eating Bird Food
Cooking Time for Barbequed Plant Based Burger: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Method to prepare Barbequed Plant Based Burger:
- Drain the jackfruit and break apart pieces by hand until it’s shredded and resembles pulled meat.
- Heat a medium/large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- While onions and garlic are cooking, combine BBQ spices (paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and cayenne pepper) in a small bowl.
- Add shredded jackfruit and spices into the skillet. Toss well to combine. Turn heat to low and let jackfruit cook for 1-2 minutes with the spices before adding BBQ sauce. Coat jackfruit in the sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until jackfruit is warm throughout.
- For sandwiches, serve warm on a bun with coleslaw.
Ingredients for Barbequed Plant Based Burger:
- 14 oz can green/unripe jackfruit packed in water
- 2 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, (homemade or store-bought)
- Burger buns and coleslaw, for topping